Wednesday, May 20, 2015

"Precious" Reaction

I really liked this film, and although I expected it to be completely depressing, I was surprised by how it was managed. The film didn't seem over dramatic or under done. It had a good mix of everything from funny to devastating. It seemed like real life to me and I enjoyed that the movie did not shy away from the very explicitly bad things that have happened in Precious' life. The abuse that she had gone through was in your face and very real. Sometimes I forgot I was watching a movie. I also liked that although Precious had gone through so much in her life, she still somehow managed to get out and to move ahead. She also could joke around and laugh. She didn't let people take her humanity away from her. She could have easily become like her mom, but instead chose to be different. I really enjoyed the parts where she would fantasize, because that is so important to teens and children and even adults. We always fantasize about doing great things, about making life different for ourselves somehow, and these things, I believe, are what help us to cling to the hope that things will get better. I hardly ever see in any movies, though, about teen girls living in poor conditions fantasizing while they're walking through the streets. This is also telling of what Precious is feeling. Whenever it seems like she's going down, she sees herself as a new person and she continues on. The ending was great, too. In the end, she got her child back, and she was unforgiving to her mother. She understood what she went through and she didn't let her mother get away with her inaction. In the end, we don't really know what happened to her, but that's the point. She has her life ahead of her and she still has her dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment